More dental fear leads to more dental avoidance.
A vicious cycle leading to worsening of problems, more fear, more avoidance.
People with high dental fear require more time, may prove difficult to treat, and exhibit behavioral problems that can be stressful to manage.
Research shows that virtual reality is more effective in reducing pain and anxiety in dental procedures than:
+ Watching a movie (Furman et al., 2009; Hoffman et al., 2001)
+ Listening to audio (Nuvvula et al., 2015), and
+ Control groups (Al-Khotani et al. 2016; Asl Aminabadi et al., 2012; Díaz-Orueta et al., 2014; Furman et al., 2009; Hoffman et al., 2001; Tanja-Dijkstra; 2014; Tanja-Dijkstra; 2018)
See our full literature review here.
Research shows that the use of virtual reality in dental procedures can reduce:
+ Pulse rate (Al-Khotani et al. 2016; Furman et al., 2009; Sullivan et al., 2000; Wiederhold et al. 2014)
+ Blood pressure (Furman et al., 2009)
+ Respiration rate (Wiederhold et al. 2014)
+ Self-reported measures of pain (Asl Aminabadi et al., 2012; Furman et al., 2009; Hoffman et al., 2001; Tanja-Dijkstra; 2018; Wiederhold et al. 2014)
+ Self-reported measures of anxiety/stress (Al-Khotani et al. 2016; Asl Aminabadi et al., 2012; Díaz-Orueta et al., 2014; Nuvvula et al., 2015; Tanja-Dijkstra; 2018 Wiederhold et al. 2014).
See our literature review here.
Research shows that the use of VR can improve patients’ behavior during a dental procedure (Al-Khotani et al. 2016; Nuvvula et al., 2015).
Research also shows natural environments in virtual reality are more effective than urban environments (Tanja-Dijkstra; 2018).
See our full literature review here.
Disinfect equipment with UV-C light.
A superhydrophobic anti-bacterial coating prevents build up of water, sweat or oil based contaminants.
We use the smallest, lightest VR headsets.
This is especially important in the operating chair.
Don't make life harder than you need to.
No wires, no batteries, no computer setup.
We know time is money.
Start our experience with the press of a button.
We'll keep you updated with the latest hardware.
Virtual reality technology is improving quickly.
Don't worry about falling behind.
We help you promote Relax VR to your patients.
Whether it's for your social media page or website, we provide you the marketing assets you need.
Our hardware will run for at least 3 hours continuously before needing to be recharged.
For operations in the chair, up to 10 hours.
1. Why can't I use phone-based VR like Google Cardboard or Gear VR for my dental practice?
In a commercial environment, phone-based VR systems pose a number of problems:
• Overheating: Phone based systems overheat after 15-20min of continuous usage. This causes the experience to stutter, degrade in performance, and can lead to user discomfort from the heat itself.
• Low performance: The vast majority of phone-based systems have lower resolution, refresh rate and processing power than standalone headsets. This means users are more likely to experience low quality visuals, performance lag and nausea.
• Hygiene: Most phone based headsets come with soft cushioning which easily absorbs sweat and is hard to wipe down. Phone based headsets have more moving parts and small nooks that make them harder to clean properly.
• Cumbersome: Starting up and shutting down a phone based headset takes more time and is more complicated than a standalone headset. This results in lost time for the customer, and confused employees.
2. Why shouldn't I use an Oculus Go for my dental practice?
In a commercial environment the Oculus Go poses several problems:
• Hygiene: Oculus Go comes with soft cushioning that easily absorbs sweat, skin debris and dirt and is difficult to wipe down properly.
• Battery Life: The Oculus Go has a 2hr battery life, and requires 3hrs to fully recharge. This can be a problem serving multiple clients on the same day. Our headsets have 50% more battery life than the Oculus Go.
• Low immersion/wired audio: The Oculus Go does not support Bluetooth headphones. This means you either have to use the low-immersion in-built speakers, or use wired headphones. Our package comes with wireless noise cancelling headphones for the easiest, highest quality audio immersion.
• Open store: The Oculus Go can't be locked into a single application and its home screen is the Oculus app store. This means customers can exit the app/experience and get lost in the app store or even download other apps/content.
• Controller: The Oculus Go requires the synchronisation and use of a controller. This adds additional setup time, can confuse new users, and is not necessary for a relaxation experience.